One of my favorite elements of Quantum Theory is the "heist" aspect. I've always enjoyed watching a group of highly skilled individuals come together to steal something. I not only like stories about the heist itself but also about the consequences. Some of my Favorites are Heat, reservoir Dogs (great tale about the aftermath of a heist), Public Enemies ( about a heist spree and how it wears on the perps), Raiders of the Lost Ark (come on! Stealing supernatural artifacts from an army of Nazis?! The ultimate heist!) and also the wonderful french film Rififi! What do you all like? I'd love some recommendations!

Views: 164

Replies to This Discussion

Sneakers, for sure. The Great Train Robbery. Thief. And what was that black and white one in french?
Rififi! That WAS the movie. And I also love Heat. And Serenity. And Out of Sight. And The Conversation, I think, qualifies.

i had a friend who went on and on about "ronin" and he was right -- i love that movie!  i have to watch it every time it's on TV and it's always captivating!  and it's got a perfect ending!  i remember liking "reservoir dogs" and thinking i preferred it to "pulp fiction" actually.  but seriously, if you haven't seen "ronin," or it's been a while, go watch it, right now!!

omg "sneakers" -- that is amazing you thought of that!  i remember my friend discovering that movie somehow and we watched it when we were kids and even then we were like, i can't believe we're watching this movie.  i don't remember anything about it, literally not one thing, except the title, my impression of it, and ... was robert redford in it?  am i crazy?  the things i remember...

Ronin! I have to watch it! I think Tenny likes it a lot but I don't know that I've seen it. On second thought maybe I saw it in HighSchool or College. Does it have the guy from The Professional in it and take place in France? I also prefer Dogs to Fiction but I appreciate fiction more and more as I get older.

Ronin is wonderful.  I saw it three times in the theaters.

Sneakers has Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, David Straithern, Dan Aykroyd, River Phoenix, Mary McDonnell, and Ben Kingsley as the villain.

Hello Mahtin.  No more secrets.

Topkapi, Oceans 11 (2011 version), Sexy Beast, Reservoir Dogs

Definitely and always Serenity. And of course Hudson Hawk. As for the others, maybe I go for a bit wider definition of "heist", but: To Catch A Thief (where what's been taken is proof of innocence) and His Girl Friday (where love is the thing stolen).

Does The Usual Suspects count? Because I still can't get over that movie.

yes that is that movie -- rewatch it if you can!  it's awesome.  i can see that being true about PF vs RD -- i haven't seen either in a very long time so i don't know what i'd think now.  by the time i saw PF i'd heard people raving about it and that almost always results in me watching the movie and going, it was good but not THAT good, whereas i saw RD after PF and had no real background to it so that helped me like it.  the only movie that lived up to/exceeded the trailer and the hype to me was "The Matrix."

Gerard J. Marzilli said:

Ronin! I have to watch it! I think Tenny likes it a lot but I don't know that I've seen it. On second thought maybe I saw it in HighSchool or College. Does it have the guy from The Professional in it and take place in France? I also prefer Dogs to Fiction but I appreciate fiction more and more as I get older.

i don't know if it counts, but i love that movie.  i did not see the end coming AT ALL!!

Tyler Seiple said:

Does The Usual Suspects count? Because I still can't get over that movie.

Ah yes Susan!  How could I forget Sexy Beast!  Ben Kingsley played one of my favorite sociopaths of all time!!  It's almost the role he did as an opposite of Gandhi!  Any one see Kelly's Heroes? Bunch of soldiers go AWOL in WWII and steal Nazi gold ( which they probably stole themselves).  It has Don Sutherland as a 1940s hippie!  (yeah I know.  Trust me it's easier if u go with it...)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Tennyson E. Stead.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service